The European Union is pleased to invite you to participate in the ASEM Day Virtual Celebration on Tuesday1st March 2022 at 10:00 (CET/UTC+1).
The virtual celebration will include a roundtable discussion on: “Food in Diplomacy: a bridging tool between Europe and Asia”.
Food and culinary heritage hold a unique place as historical, cultural, economic and social constructions. From working lunches to prestigious gala dinners, the table has often been integrated into an international diplomatic context to contribute to consensus and cross-cultural understanding. Traditional foodways and gastronomies involve practices that are transmitted within a community, and their safeguarding and valorization are of great significance, beyond national prestige. In this respect, alongside states and multilateral organizations, civil society actors, and chefs in particular, play an important role as ambassadors and bridge-builders.
Welcome and opening addresses by:
• Marc FIEDRICH, Acting Director and Head of Service, Service for Foreign Policy Instruments
• Gunnar WIEGAND, Managing Director, European External Action Service (EEAS)
• Gilles BRAGARD, General Secretary & Founder of Club des Chefs des Chefs
• Tim CURTIS, Secretary of the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage, UNESCO
• Emmanuel STROOBANT, Chef, Singapore
• Ritu DALMIA, Chef, Delhi, India
The roundtable discussion will be moderated by Jan MELISSEN, Editor-in-Chief of The Hague Journal of Diplomacy.
Please register via this link.
The ASEM Day Co-organising Team