The objectives of the West Africa Coalition for indigenous peoples Rights WACIPR include:
1. Authentication: The NGO continually seeks and advocates that the traditional knowledge and folklore of the over one hundred and forty – seven indigenous communities in which it executes its mandate, are authenticated to belong to the communities.
2. Cultural Protocols: Establishing procedures including legal protection to prevent the abuse of the rich cultural heritage of the indigenous people.
3. Communal Ownership: The cultural Heritage of indigenous communities are jointly owned and does not belong to individuals and as such there must be collective agreement and consent to access traditional knowledge and folklore.
4. Non Expropriation: The indigenous communities desire to guard against the removal of items of folklore and traditional knowledge from the places of origin. The communities see their folklore as testimony of the origin, past and spiritual tie to their progenitors. They fear that thez might be destroyed and diluted.
5. Poverty alleviation: Some aspects of folklore and traditional knowledge are transformed into arts and performances which are marketed to alleviate4 poverty in the indigenous communities. Hence there is need to guard against infringement on copyright.
Description of the NGO: Indigenous People’s Organization active in the five domains of Intangible Cultural Heritage
Year of accreditation: 2012
Main domain(s) of the ngo’s activities: oral traditions and expressions, performing arts, social practices, rituals and festive events, knowledge and practices concerning nature and the universe, traditional craftsmanship
Main country where the NGO works: Nigeria
Local, national or international level of the NGO: Local, National